Skip to main content

Taken from a Tweet

This statement from a Howard County parent has been burning a hole in my brain for several days.

Why don't you create some new rules? No child should have to attend a school with lower rating than their current. Stop redistricting.

"No child should have to go to a school with a lower rating than their current."

Well, wait a minute. Who do you think should go to that "lower-rated school"? My guess it that you don't really care so long as it's not your child.

Watch my brain explode.

The purpose of public school education is to benefit all children. I am strongly opposed to efforts to use the school system to protect some children at the expense of others. Solutions should be for everyone.

While searching for this particular tweet to share this morning, I ran across another, from the U.K., which is equally relevant to our situation.

The modern purpose of education is to exclude the children who might lower a school's rating.

Hmm.

I feel certain I've seen signs of this rearing its ugly head during redisctricting discussions. Have you?

One last tweet. I see that Candace Dodson-Reed (Elevate Maryland) has responded to the HCPSS request for a name to Elementary School #42:

Silas Craft Elementary! Please adjust the policy and name that school after a great man who left his mark on education in Howard County.

Apparently the current rules state no naming after people, but I have to say I like this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...