Skip to main content

Late Links



Since it’s Friday, and I overslept, I’m going to fall back on the time-honored HoCoRising tradition of Friday links. 

Elevate Maryland is going to do their new remote show thing on Saturday at noon with the folks of Oakland Mills Online. Here’s the link to the event announcement.




No link on this but there is a growing trend of people going on Twitter to report sightings of people congregating in various locations around Howard County. To the Governor. A few thoughts:

  • How were you able to see them if you were at home where you should be?
  • What do you think the Governor will do?
  • Wondering the racial make up of reporters vs. congregators.


Apparently reporting people to the Governor is the new writing a hot letter to the editor.

Woodbine Restaurant Tony Locos is offering a free roll of toilet paper with each take-out order. It’s both a helpful and humorous promotion and it earned them an article in the Howard County Times. Here’s the link to the article by Jess Nocera.

Lastly, here’s some outright fun. Also,  I could swear there used to be a local blog called “Live from the Cul-de-sac” but I can’t find a trace of it now.

Circus Greg and his cul-de-sac circus . This from WBAL:


Man takes circus act to local neighborhoods to entertain people for free 

Did you attend the virtual Town Hall hosted by County Executive Calvin Ball last night?  What did you think?

Have a great day. I’ll see you tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...