Skip to main content

Open and Closed

 



The restaurant that everyone - - and I mean, everyone - - told me I should go to has closed. And I never managed to get there. Ugh. Amanda Yeager of the Baltimore Business Journal brings word that R & R Taqueria in Elkridge has closed its doors. Chef Rodrigo Albarran shares his future plans with Yeager but sadly none of them include Howard County. Well, it’s nobody’s fault but my own. Clearly I need to get out more.

After the pandemic, of course.

And yet, despite the current environment, some local restaurants are taking the plunge. Grillmarx, known to me from their location in Olney adjacent to the popular splash pad, has opened for business in Downtown Columbia. From a post by Costello Construction:

Whet your appetite! Grillmarx Steakhouse and Raw Bar is officially open and ready to serve you. The new restaurant features 2-levels of dining, a massive bar + lounge, outdoor patio, great food, and cool vibes. Welcome to the neighborhood. 

Bushel and a Peck, the new restaurant in Clarksville from Rob Wecker (think Iron Bridge and Mutiny Pirate Bar and Island Grille) is in preparations to open later in the month.  They must be having some soft open sorts of events because I’ve seen folks raving about their creme brûlée with chocolate and peanuts. Bushel and a Peck will be taking over the space once filled by Food Plenty (Victoria Restaurant Group)  in Clarksville Commons. 

I went to Food Plenty several times and liked everything about it except that it was far too pricey for me to make it a regular thing, I suspect the new restaurant will be the same, but probably a great fit for the River Hill/Clarksville location. Once I am able to get out more, you’ll probably find me frequenting the vendors in the Common Kitchen. I’m a huge fan of the variety of choices, reasonable pricing, and the casual and friendly atmosphere. 

At our house these days we are more likely to be bringing food in. Tonight we’ll be celebrating my son-in-law’s birthday with dinner from an old favorite, Maiwand. I’d be interested to know how many of my readers are still avoiding in-restaurant meals in favor of the safety of home. As much as I want our local restaurant community to survive - - thrive, even - - I can’t risk the exposure to COVID-19 that a restaurant visit might bring. 

Today is the very last day for The Second Chance Saloon in Oakland Mills. I was there on the night they opened but, sadly, I will not be there tonight. If you make it over there to wish them farewell, please give them my very best. The Second Chance has been a part of our lives for twelve years and I will miss them. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...