Skip to main content

Letting Go


 

Truth in advertising: I love fireworks. When I was little I was terrified of the sound, but my delight at the visual experience eventually overcame my fears. Last night my daughter and I sat on the couch in our living room in Oakland Mills and were able to see a decent amount of the Lakefront show, at least, the ones that cleared the trees across the road from our house. 

Many people feel that it isn’t truly the Fourth of July in Columbia/HoCo without fireworks at Lake Kittamaqundi.

And yet.

Every year I learn more about how fireworks traumatize animals and other creatures in the natural world. The following is taken from a Facebook page called The Animal Place:

  • Fireworks traumatize ALL animals. They can have panic attacks, become disorientated, anxious, and scared. The booming noises can be terrifying and overwhelming for pets⁠/wildlife - and possibly hazardous or fatal.
  • We are in FIRE SEASON and seeing record-breaking heatwaves everywhere while experiencing a major drought. Firework sparks can and will result in fires.
  • People with past trauma related to sound like, people with Complex PTSD, people with autism, and people with other forms of sensitivity to noise are all impacted significantly by the explosions of fireworks. 
Let's create compassionate traditions.

Here’s more along the same lines in an image from Reddit.



As I said, I love fireworks. And I love the special joy that comes with sharing that experience with others - - the oohs and aahs and the delight in children’s faces. But do I love them so much that I am willing to sacrifice the well-being of others?

I’m beginning to think it’s time to let them go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...