Skip to main content

Skyline



Recently I saw someone ask online if they could bring visual aids to accompany their remarks in front in the Columbia Association board. It brought to mind the time I whipped out a rather large sign on which were written two words: I’m back.

I'm here tonight because on May 28, 2014 I stood in this very spot and said, "I have attended multiple CA Board meetings to speak in support of this park. I will keep coming back as often as necessary, and I am not alone."

And so I must begin with these words. I'm back.

What park? This park.  Merriweather Park at Symphony Woods: home to the Chrysalis, site of some very cool environmental projects this summer, host of happy hours and free yoga (this Thursday!) and where you can find some of the artsiest picnic tables in town. 

That park.

For many local folks it’s just the Chrysalis. It is a notable landmark, after all. At its opening cartoonist  Mike Ricigliano honored it with some humorous suggestions on how to mark the occasion.


If Columbia is known for having any kind of “skyline”, the Chrysalis has quickly become a part of it. A few seasons ago the Downtown Columbia Partnership created this image to promote Winter/holiday events around town


And just the other day the Columbia Association posted a promotional item on Instagram about its free yoga classes.


Through free and low-cost arts programming and a variety of community events, Merriweather Park at Symphony Woods is getting the word out that Columbia has a park for the people and all are welcome. The Chrysalis, once the target of outrage and derision by local armchair critics, is becoming more and more a part of the community landscape every year. 

It wasn’t meant to “blend in” in the way that our venerable tot lots disappear into the natural setting of Columbia’s pathways. But then Columbia itself wasn’t meant to blend in. At its creation it stood for something new and beautiful and, let’s face it, challenging. 

Rather like the park, I think.


Coming up this week:

Thursday, July 15th

Happy Hour, 5-7 pm, featuring Holly Montgomery plus yoga class at the Chrysalis, admission free. Learn more here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...