Skip to main content

The Inexplicable

 


My daughter has been doing some work for her grandmother over the past year. Grandma pays in cash. For a long time none of us were going anywhere so that cash piled up in my daughter’s bedroom. Recently we decided it was high time we ventured to her bank to get it deposited.

To be honest, we couldn’t remember which branch was the one where she opened her account so we just headed for the one closest to the Mall. She went in, I waited.

And waited.

When she came out she was shaking her head.

“I can’t deposit my money,” she said.

“Why?”

“It’s a cashless branch.”

“A what?”

“The tellers’ windows are covered up by a big sign. A woman came out of her office and told me they are a cashless bank but I could use the ATM.”

We sat there in silence for a moment. A cashless bank. 

Then we consulted the Internet and chose another branch. She deposited her money.

Yes, we’ve gotten a few laughs telling the story of the cashless bank. “What’ll they think up next? Foodless restaurants? Bookless libraries?”

Some very basic digging shows that her bank is piloting the cashless bank as a response to customer behavior. Also to cut costs. Of course. Banks that deal in cash need more human beings to serve their patrons.

It’s true that I haven’t had a great need to go inside a bank in the recent past, which was good because the pandemic made it much more difficult. I can deposit most checks electronically. I can get cash from an ATM. 

Is the cashless bank the future of banking? Does that bother you? Or does it make perfect sense? 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...