Skip to main content

Apples and Endorsements


  

There has been a good deal of misinformation being spread locally about HCEA and the Apple Ballot. I’ve read Facebook rants that claim actual teachers have no involvement in the endorsement process, and that decisions are made by some kind of dark nefarious backroom “union thugs.”. Some people hint that money is exchanged in return for endorsements.

Then there are those who have decided to scapegoat teachers generally and therefore hate anything associated with them, such as the Apple Ballot. Also on the hate list: protecting community health during a pandemic, fair pay and safe working conditions for teachers, teaching the truth about American History, and being openly supportive of LGBTQ+ students and families.

You have to get up early in the day to have enough time to fit in all that hate.

On the other hand, most of us are aware of the existence of the Apple Ballot and are willing to at least give it a look. If you have a generally favorable opinion of teachers, you will probably give their recommendations some weight as you make up your mind who to vote for. Most of us learned our reading, research, and critical thinking skills from teachers. It stands to reason that they’d be putting those skills to work before endorsing candidates.

It turns out that that’s exactly what they do. I reached out to HCEA President Colleen Morris and asked her to explain the HCEA endorsements process. The Howard County Educators’ Association has a registered PAC and has developed a specific protocol for making political endorsements. They created the process. They follow the process. There’s nothing mysterious or nefarious about it. 

Tomorrow’s post will lay out the step by step process HCEA uses to arrive at the names you see on the Apple Ballot. 

I should note that I haven’t always voted completely in alignment with HCEA recommendations. Sometimes I think they got it right, sometimes I don’t. No endorsing body claims to be perfect in every way. HCEA very likely interviews candidates with an eye to who will be the most committed to public education, the needs of students and families, school infrastructure, fair pay and working conditions, for example. I’m always willing to take a look at their endorsements because those things are important to me, too.

Come back tomorrow and I’ll walk you through the endorsement process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...