Skip to main content

The Pizza Wars Continue



Last night it was wet and drippy. I had just dropped off my daughter at a party in Frederick. My husband was at Camden Yards to see the Orioles. I had no company for dinner and no plans. Honestly, I didn’t even want to get out of my car to get anything.

Sometimes the possibilities are endless and yet you somehow find yourself in the drive-through of Little Caesar’s craving Cheesy Bread.

That was when I discovered that the Oakland Mills Little Caesar’s is no more. They have moved to Long Reach. Well, good for Long Reach, I thought, as I drove home and then eventually ordered a Veggielicious pizza from Pizza Boli’s.

You may remember that it wasn’t even a year ago that I wrote about the increase in pizza establishments in the Oakland Mills Village Center.

A Slice of Small Business , November 27, 2021

Long time tenants Vennari’s had been replaced by a new pizza place called NYC Pizza. Vennari’s is now in the Owen Brown Village Center. So Cedar Properties had replaced a struggling pizza place with another pizza place, in a village center that already had Little Caesar’s and Pizza Man. 

Is this survival of the fittest?

Maybe they think that’s all we eat.

We really liked NYC Pizza and added them into our regular take out rotation. 

I should take this opportunity to confess that I am the only person in Oakland Mills who isn’t crazy about Vennari’s pizza. I realize it is a personal failing on my part but it can’t be helped. Outspoken Vennari’s loyalty is an Oakland Mills litmus test of sorts. Ah, well. There’s no accounting for taste.

Back to NYC Pizza. We liked them. They closed. I don’t know exactly when, probably within the last two months or so. And I don’t know why, although I can think of several plausible reasons. Among them is the possibility that maybe, just maybe, we can’t support three pizza places in one Village Center, with Philly’s Best across Route 175 in Thunder Hill and local favorite Vennari’s just a few minutes away in Owen Brown.

And now Little Caesar’s has gone to Long Reach. We didn’t go there all that often but think it will be a loss to some of our neighbors who have very limited resources and for whom a Little Caesar’s pizza was hot, filling, and affordable.

As an aside: we love Pizza Man and order from them regularly. I just don’t like their pizza. It’s on the sweet side as I recall. There are plenty of other tasty things on their menu. The owner has done a great deal to engage with the community and host school fundraising events. I’m glad it’s still going strong and we will continue to support it. 

There may already be plans in the works to replace NYC Pizza and Little Caesar’s. The properties have two separate owners and seems unlikely that they will coordinate their searches for the good of the Village. This is business and it all comes down to who can pay the rent.

I already know the answer to this question, but, would it be too much to ask for Cedar Properties to refrain from putting another pizza place in the now-defunct NYC slot? 

It is time to move beyond the great Oakland Mills Pizza Wars. 

Any ideas? You know where to send them.


UPDATE: Have just learned that Cedar is in the process of selling all its retail properties. That includes the Oakland Mills Village Center. It will be interesting to see how that affects what happens next.

UPDATE #2: A helpful reader has informed me that they were told on Wednesday by a long-time employee that they were leaving because of a leasing issue, not poor sales. Employee said they have been as busy if not busier than ever.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...