Skip to main content

The R-Word



This week there’s been some hubbub about a local political endorsement which leaned heavily on Jim Rouse’s name in an attempt to assert credibility. The subsequent discussions were mostly about who has the correct ideology to invoke the name of Rouse.

I object. I would like to be done with this practice now and forever. I have decided to create a new term for this: “Rouse-signalling”.*

My objection is to anyone trotting out Jim Rouse’s name when it serves them - - especially when they want to win something - - as though it’s a celebrity endorsement. I felt the same way about The Rouse Project. I do wonder every so often what Rouse would think of various goings-on today. Of course, if it were possible, it would be fascinating to get his take on the here and now. 

But that’s not how life works. And I’m guessing he didn’t think he was God. He probably thought we’d be able to stand on our own feet by now, but: who knows? 

At least, I think we should.

Right now in Baltimore there’s a new musical, “Do It Now!” about a larger than life figure in that city’s history: Donald Schaefer. Here’s a piece from Sue Kopen Katcef for MPT that touches on Schaefer, the musical, and the process of how it came about. (Added bonus: HoCo local Wendy Baird is in the cast. See if you can spot her.)


 



If you don’t have time to watch the entire piece (approximately three and a half minutes) go to the three minutes ten seconds mark or thereabouts where the composer describes what he hope the audience will take away from the musical. It’s possible to be be aspirational in looking at the life of a local icon without making a god out of him.

As an aside, I’d totally be up for a local production of “Rouse! The Musical” if it gave the protagonist the right to be human.

If you think it’s sacrilegious to compare Schaefer to Rouse, my apologies. My intent is to suggest that it’s a healthy response to people like this if their lives can prompt us to think. It’s unhealthy to make gods out of them and plop them down into political discourse to win points.

Back to Rouse. It’s counterproductive to use his memory to sell things. If you want to convince me to vote for you, you need to be a strong enough candidate in your own right that you don’t need to use Rouse as a crutch, or a kind of deus ex machina celebrity endorser. Enough already.

I propose that henceforth in Columbia/HoCo, all candidates of any stripe take the No-Rouse pledge. Yes, everybody. No more turning in his grave, no more raising him from the dead. Let that man rest from his labors. He has earned it.


As always, please direct comments here: https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/?ref=bookmarks



*Or, perhaps: “Rouse-baiting”?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...