Skip to main content

An All-Star Cast

Tonight at the Columbia Comedy Club--a star-studded line-up guaranteed to chase your post-election blues away!

You know you need to be there to hear Mickey Gomez (of crazy hairbrush and AllDogs fame) do her wild and crazy stand-up routine, famous in Howard County and beyond. And the glamorous Bita Dayhoff, a fixture at HoCo society events, is not to be missed as she focuses her keen insight on local shenanigans. Rounding off the evening, Beverly White-Seals and Joan Driessen are sure to have the crowd rolling in the aisles.

Don't forget, your ticket entitles you to one free drink at the bar! Champion mixologists Alan Brody and Josh Friedman have got your libation choices covered--only top shelf for these guys. It's a can't-miss event and it all starts tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Jeffers Hill Neighborhood Center, 6030 Tamar Drive, Columbia.

*****

Okay...I'm done pulling your leg. Tonight's event is sponsored by the Columbia Democratic Club. Although I am having a bit of fun with the intent, I think it will be a chance to lift your spirits. Why? Because the guests tonight represent Howard County Non-Profits.

Bita Dayhoff, President, Community Action Council of Howard County

Beverly White-Seals, President and CEO, Community Foundation of Howard County.

Joan Driessen, Executive Director, Association of Community Services of Howard County

Mickey Gomez, Executive Director, Volunteer Center Serving Howard County

Lisa B, Mrs. S. highlights the event here.

Howard County is home to some seriously awesome non-profits. And that's no joke. Finding out how you can get involved just might be the best thing you have done in a long time.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...