Skip to main content

Representation: FAIL

I almost wrote Senator Kasemeyer one of my impassioned advocacy letters. I had already written to the delegation as a whole, and additionally signed on to the HCEA letter campaign to make a better board of education, but I thought maybe, if I laid out the case well enough, I could make a difference. But then time got away from me.

I guess I'm glad I didn't. Word on the street is that he doesn't read his emails.

Yesterday Senator Kasemeyer used his vote to block Delegate Atterbeary's bill to improve how we elect members of the Board of Education. Not, I am told, because he was philosophically opposed to it, but because he had given his word to someone that he would vote against it.

I'd love to know who or what was more important than supporting the needs of constituents he was elected to serve.

I found this tweet posted awhile back by my friend Abby Hendrix:

Ed Kasemeyer asks Dems to get involved. @mddems @HoCoDemParty

Well, Senator, I am a Democrat and I am involved. And if you took a moment to listen, really listen, to the people who reached out to you asking for help, you'd find similar stories. While not all of us are Democrats, we all share a passion for our children's education. You'd find people who have volunteered, donated time, goods, and money. You'd find people who have served on committees, given testimony, advocated for causes, worked to find common ground, campaigned for better candidates--all in the service of improving our schools.

We are not lazy whiners looking for a quick fix. We reached out to members of the Howard County Delegation only after exhausting all other avenues of redress. Don't tell me to get involved, Senator Kasemeyer. I have been there.

Yesterday was your turn to get involved, and to put your money where your mouth is. But you didn't.

I don't know if we will ever know why you did what you did yesterday. But we know what you did: you turned your back on the citizens of Howard County.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...