Skip to main content

The Bad Element

Opponents of the Walgreen's in Oakland Mills suggested that it would attract a bad element to the neighborhood. I've always wondered what they imagined that would be. Drug deals? Prostitution? Teen gangs hanging out on the corner, up to no good? Of course, people who like to spread fear don't need to spell it out. They just invoke anxiety in people's brains and allow their imaginations to do the rest.

Thursday evening I came face to face with the bad element at the Oakland Mills Walgreen's. It didn't look like what you might think. A well-dressed woman, maybe in her forties, with well-styled and colored hair, stopped me. She had run out of gas. She didn't have any money. Could I drive her to a gas station and pay for a gas can? Or could I give her ten dollars for gas?

Despite how nice she seemed, she was still a stranger, and I was not going to let her in my car. And I actually didn't have any cash. I told her that.

"I'm so sorry, I just have my bank card and I need to pick up medicine for my husband, who's sick at home."

"Oh, I understand. My son just had his tonsils out..." She gestured to a blue car in the distance.

I hurried on my way. I wondered if I missed an opportunity to help someone genuinely in need. Are we so afraid of one another that we can't reach out anymore?

The next day I returned to the Walgreen's with my daughter to pick up a prescription. The same woman was there. I passed her on the way in. She was talking on a cell phone. I caught a snatch up the conversation.

"But it's cold," I heard her say. "I know that, but it's cold."

If she has a phone, I thought, couldn't she call someone for help?

On my way back to the car, she stopped me. Just as on the night before, she was pleasant, looked well-put-together.

"I've run out of gas. Can you help me with some money?" She gestured around but I didn't see the car she had gestured to the night before.

I still didn't have any cash. I still didn't feel right about what was going on.

As I walked away she was headed in to the store.

*****

What is the bad element? Is it a nice looking, well mannered woman who looks like me who is scamming people for money in the parking lot? Or is it me, too suspicious to reach out a hand to help, too willing to believe that it's a scam?

I don't know the answer.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...