Skip to main content

The Kids Are Alright

It's just a banner week in the land of World Class Education, folks.

  • Hate speech broadcast by a Mount Hebron student.
  • Graduates of Wilde Lake and Hammond arrested in connection with a murder case.

These are individual and unrelated incidents. There are many ways in which they should not be lumped together, but they come at as almost as a single event. They tell us nothing about any kind of trend. But still, we think.

We feel a sense of overwhelming dread. What is wrong with our community that we are raising children like this? And so it is absolutely normal to want to look around and draw some reassurance from the young people in our community of whom we are justly proud.

I'm proud of students at Mount Hebron High School who are planning a peaceful protest within their school community. They are standing together against racism, rightly affirming that it has no place in a learning community. There's quite a bit of pressure against them to back down and not "make a fuss." Their goal is to bear witness to what happened, look at it, discuss it, listen to one another, learn from one another.

I salute them.

And another thing. Saturday night I helped to chaperone a teen party held at the Owen Brown Interfaith Center. It was quite the reaffirming experience for me, seeing teens from all over Howard County getting to relax, hang out, be themselves. There were some jeans, some party dresses, some leather jackets, some glittery shoes, some headbands with cat ears.

As you might imagine, the party was a mix of music, snacks and drinks, augmented by a light-up disco ball and bubble machine. The biggest problem of the evening was encouraging the shy people who were hanging out around the edges to take a risk and join in. The most outlandish behavior? Well, that would be a toss-up between the kid who took all the leftover solo cups and made them into an enormous arch and walked around the room with them, and the kids who figured out they could do a little helium singing while we were cleaning up and popping balloons.

All in all, a pretty great experience for one of the first LGTBQ and Allies teen events in Howard County. Planned by teens, run by teens. Made possible through teen fundraising. Publicized by teens on social media. Great kids.

I salute them, too.

When I say, "we need to sit with" the issues that are troubling us right now, I don't mean to negate the beautiful young people we have in our midst. I just ask that, in our rush to "put this behind us" or "get back to normal" we don't refuse to look beyond the comfortable and examine what is making us so deeply uncomfortable. We need to do that, not just for our own good, but for the good of our kids.

They need us to be that brave. Let's not let them down.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...