Skip to main content

A Few Pointers

In the past few months two different friends have reached out to me for advice about blogging. I find this rather amazing. But, I'm happy to talk about blogging with just about anyone.

Most of the time I am. When things are going well.

Yes, when I get up at a decent hour and the ideas are flowing, I can find the appropriate links and the photos drop easily into the text like the last piece in a jigsaw, blogging is a marvelous daily discipline. I'm in the zone. It's one of the best things in my life.

When I oversleep, or ideas are in short supply, or self confidence is at a low ebb, blogging feels more like an exercise in self loathing. The vast whiteness of the blank page with a cursor blinking is the stuff of nightmares.

Here are some questions you should ask yourself if you are considering writing a blog.


  • What drives you to write?
  • Who do you want to communicate with?
  • What is special about your voice that will bring readers back again and again?
  • How much do you really want to do this?
  • What do you hope to get out of blogging?
  • How frequently are you willing to write?

A lesson that I have learned over time is that a shortage of ideas is far less daunting than having things to write about at a time when it would be wiser to remain silent. Not speaking, no matter how wise, is a heavy weight to carry. That's when you need a back up plan. Your commitment to write has to be bigger than the immovable object.

When all else fails, run the post from one year ago on this date. I try not to do that too often. But perspective can be educational.

Of course this assumes that you've already been writing for more than a year.

What are you waiting for? You need to start banking those blog posts now for when you'll need them in the future.

Trust me. You'll need them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...