Skip to main content

Friends and Foes

I had a little moment this week on social media where I found myself and and my family under attack from the rantings of an anonymous Facebook page. Ive learned not to care too much about what is said about me, but going after my children is off limits. If you have children, I'm sure you would feel the same.

The best thing (if there is one) about this whole unpleasant experience is how many good people came to my defense. I have many friends who refused to be bystanders in the face of online bullying. It truly warmed my heart to witness the efforts of upstanders coming not just to my defense but also supporting others who were being unfairly targeted.

A particular surprise to me were kind words from two well-known local folks with whom I have had many political disagreements. I think it's safe to say that we probably agree on about five percent of what the world has to offer. But both were quick to check in with words of support. Both made it clear that what I was experiencing was unacceptable.

That was truly a "wow" moment for me. Yes, it's just a tiny moment in the swirl of local and national divisions. But it is meaningful just the same. People with profound disagreements can still acknowledge humanity in each other. Perhaps I can't extrapolate that to be indicative of any larger message but I can say I'm thankful.

In a week where being online felt like my house was going up in flames, thankful is good.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...