Skip to main content

Topical Trivia

Dribs and drabs this morning:

There's a new Caribbean restaurant in Harper's Choice. It's in the space where Zapata's used to be. It's called Jazz's Island Soul Cuisine and I stole this impromptu review right off of a friend's Facebook post:

We visited the new restaurant @ Harper's Choice Village Center today. We had brunch (all day every day right now) and the food was delicious! I got chicken and waffles (the rum syrup was so sticky and sweet in the best way), and [my lovely companion] got the meat lovers omelette that came with home fries, grits, fried apples and biscuits (made in a waffle iron). 

Yay for local restaurants with good food!

I got a nice little mailing from my State Senator Guy Guzzone this week, informing me that he's also a realtor and offering his services should we need them. Probably everyone else knew that he is a realtor, but I didn't, so I guess that's useful. We already have a realtor we trust--Michael McKenna of Weichert New Colony--but it's still helpful information to have.

Apparently there's been a traffic snarlup around the Mall on Little Patuxent Parkway due to road work. What's interesting is that is hasn't affected me at all, which means I'm not really going "Downtown" much. Hmm.

It looks like plans are moving forward for the Cultural Arts Center which will give Toby's a new home. May it be everything that Toby Orenstein has wished for. She's certainly waited long enough.

Finally, a shoutout to two HoCo women who have been working long and hard on causes we should all probably know more about.


  • Laurie Lundy, who is an advocate for Addiction/Recovery support in Howard County.
  • Catherine Carter, who is working to get the Atticus Act passed in the Maryland State legislature, on behalf of children with binocular vision disorder.


Have some local current events to add to this mix? Let me know here: https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...