Skip to main content

Summer Reading

My daughter and I stopped by Books in Bloom yesterday. I got a little thrill seeing people in the woods for a reason other than Wine in the Woods. That's the way it ought to be: a people's park for our community.

I had a chance to catch up with Christie Lassen from the Howard County Library System. I really want to make an effort to read more this summer, so I asked her if the Summer Reading program had opportunities for adults. It does. Adults, teens, and children. And, if you want, you can do it all from your phone.



Learn more about this year's summer reading program here. Rest assured, there's still a print version if you prefer that route. Take a look--it's more than your typical read-a-book program. Participants work to earn badges in a variety of categories:

Build a Better Community
Build a Better Planet
Build a Better Friendships
Build a Better You
Build your own Badge
Choose Civility Badge (Adults 18+)
And Reading, of course.

I stopped by the Glenwood branch on Saturday to pick up some crafting books and a few about home organization and decoration. I'm gearing up for some of the hot days when I'd rather stay cool inside!

We are really blessed with an exceptionally good library system in Howard County. There are so many ways they jump in to fill community needs and engage the public with creative programming.

What do you love about the library?

(You know where to post your comments, right?)

https://www.facebook.com/VillageGreenTownSquared/?ref=bookmarks






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...