Skip to main content

The Ballad of Brown Puppy



It’s not hocolocal, but everyone knows I’m a sucker for this sort of thing. Shared by Jimmie Cone, an ice cream place with two locations in Mt.Airy and Damascus:

Brown Puppy was left behind at our Mt. Airy store this evening. We’re sure someone special is missing their pup! We will keep him safe and fed overnight- if he belongs to you- we open at 1pm tomorrow.


Oh, my. That much ice cream for a dog that size probably isn’t a good idea. Dogs don’t digest dairy all that well. 

All kidding aside, if you or someone you know is the owner of this cute fella, you’d better hightail it out there this afternoon and bring him home. I don’t know how they know that Brown Puppy is a “he” but presumably the folks at Jimmie Cone have experience in these things.

If you don’t already know about Jimmie Cone, here’s some information shared on the Town of Mount Airy Facebook page:

Business Spotlight

In addition to dishing up a variety of sweet treats, the Mount Airy location is known for its Cruise Nights.

From April until October, the Mount Airy location offers Cruise Nights on the first and third Saturdays of each month. Folks can grab a sweet treat and see some classic cars. If you own a hot rod, feel free to drive up to participate and speak with other car enthusiasts. “I think it is some good clean family fun,” Hamilton said. “People like to come up here and get their ice cream and walk around and look at the cars. …I know my kids love walking around looking at the cars. It is free, other than your ice cream, to come and look at the cars. On a nice Saturday night, it is just something simple and fun to do (that is local).”

Visions of the George Lucas film “American Graffiti” are dancing in my head.

It’s going to be a warm day today. Maybe if you are in the mood for a drive, or something cold and sweet, you can hop in the car and head for Jimmie Cone. It’ll take you about a half an hour. I’m hoping that, by the time you get there, Brown Puppy will have been claimed by his loving owner.

No, this post really isn’t a ballad about Brown Puppy. But maybe you can make one up while you’re driving.

One day in April in the Spring

When all were gay and merry

He wandered off, my canine king

And vanished in Mount Airy.

 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...