Skip to main content

Family Ties



I was somewhat startled to see this news yesterday:

The Howard County Public School System is actively seeking a new chief financial officer after Rafiu O. Ighile resigned late last month. 

In her piece for the Baltimore Sun, Jess Nocera notes:

In an interview, Ighile said his reasoning for leaving Howard was “purely family.” A father to six daughters, the oldest being 16, he knew his priority needed to be his family.

Without knowing anything about the particulars, I think that, after a budget season like this year’s, I would want to spend more time with family, too.

The phrase “wanting to spend more time with family” is a well-known exit line, along with, “leaving to pursue other interests.” They have come to represent a multitude of sins, or, perhaps more accurately, as a stand-in for other, more complicated explanations. I found the following article extremely helpful:

Canned Phrases for Making an Exit, Kate Hafner for the New York Times

Ms. Hafner points out that such statements provide a socially acceptable cover while severance packages are being negotiated. Considering the fact that Mr. Ighile left in late June and the public found out on July 19th, some sort of tying up of loose ends must have been going on. I do not know.

It is a turn of phrase with a long tradition, spun from corporate boardrooms in all seeming sincerity — no winks, no nods — just the sober announcement.

“Dear shareholder and John Q. Public: our trusted executive is resigning to spend more time with family.”

Sometimes it is actually true. The family tug is strong, especially this time of year. But with large severance packages and corporate images frequently at stake, more often than not the phrase is part of a carefully scripted termination agreement, filled with non-disparagement and confidentiality clauses.

The details surrounding the leaving of a job are incredibly personal and sometimes painful. Under normal circumstances they are really none of our business. But when one holds a position that is vital to the functioning of our public school system, well, the public is bound to be curious. This year’s budget season and the resulting discord with County Government left many folks wondering how expectations for funding could be so wildly disparate. The finding, almost overnight, of several million dollars - - heretofore unnoticed- - was a relief on the one hand, but troubling in its own right.

I have zero inside information. News headlines tell us:

  • June 21st, County Executive Calvin Ball requests performance audit of the school system.
  • Late June, Mr.Ighile leaves his position as chief financial officer.
  • July 16th, Executive Ball announces smaller scope of school system audit.
  • Yesterday, departure of Mr. Ighile is announced to the public


I’ve got to hope that this means that the school system is somehow heading in the right direction. I’m sure we all wish Mr. Ighile well and that his upcoming shift in priorities is a fulfilling and fruitful one. I hope that the search for a new chief financial officer yields a highly successful choice for our school system.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...