Skip to main content

Nothing to Sneeze At



The other day, Board of Education Member Vicky Cutroneo asked the following question in a local online education group:

Educators:  what materials of instruction (MOI) do you run out of first/need to supplement with your own income the most?

She received 191 responses.

If I were the mathematical sort I would have counted and sorted the responses and made a bar graph. I didn’t. Instead, I looked on with a sinking feeling as the post confirmed what I already knew: it’s very expensive to be a teacher.

This is the time of year that we see ads with special discounts for teachers to buy materials for their classrooms for the upcoming school year. On its face, it’s a nice gesture. But it hardly addresses the underlying problem:

Why do we expect teachers to use their own money to provide materials which their jobs require?

We already know that teacher salaries in almost all locations have been stagnant for quite a while. Adjusted for other financial factors, teachers actually make less than they used to. Student loan debt is a heavy burden, and items like food, housing, and other necessities have increased. Add to that the expectation that teachers will make up the difference in Materials of Instruction and what you see is highly educated, overworked, and underpaid individuals digging a financial hole every day from which there is no escape.

I wonder if we took a look at other professions which require a four year degree, possibly a masters, if we would find many where spending a substantial chunk of one’s own money was the accepted practice. It seems laughable, really.

It’s no joke for teachers.

I don’t know what Ms. Cutroneo is going to do with her list, although I suspect she wants to find a way to help lift that burden from our local teachers. One thing I can tell you is that one of the most-named items was tissues. You may not think of tissues as a Material of Instruction but just try teaching without them. If a kid needs a tissue and there aren’t any, no useful instruction will be taking place.

Trust me. I know.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...