Dear Irate Parent,
Congratulations! You have been selected at random from a larger group of irate parents to be in charge of making weather-related closing decisions for the Howard County School System.
Actually, it wasn’t random. Your online complaints were by far the most accusatory, the most insulting, and the most self-righteous. You were a standout.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You will be responsible for the safety of the students, teachers, staff, and bus drivers in 78 schools.
- You will be provided with all the weather information currently available in our area. It won’t all predict the same thing and it will be changing all the time.
- You will need to keep in mind topographical challenges in different areas of the county.
- You will need to juggle multiple other concerns, such as school lunch programs, required days of school, testing dates, field trips, sports, and performances.
- You will be provided with a list of previous closings where your decisions were determined to be wildly incorrect.