Skip to main content

Mother Knows Best



You’ve seen the ads:

This Mother’s Day, give her what she really wants!

Sound advice. For instance, don’t give her anything that will involve her waiting on and serving others. A fancy steam floor clearer is a no-no, in my opinion. But most of you know that.

This Mother’s Day, give her what she really wants!

I look at this and it stops me dead in my tracks. What do I really want? How are others supposed to know if I don’t know?

What do I want?

I want politicians and pundits to take women seriously. I want capable women to be included instead of ignored and called b**** behind their backs. I want the time to grocery shop and then the energy and inclination to cook. I want a self-cleaning car.

I want universal recognition of emotional labor and a decent attempt at spreading some of that work around. I want people in power to realize that menstrual support products should be provided everywhere free of charge like toilet paper, hand soap, and paper towels.

I want enough quarters at all times for unexpected parking meters and for feeding goats at Clark’s Elioak Farm. I want someone to clothes shop with me with great enthusiam and supportive advice. I want one perfect dark chocolate raspberry cordial from Godiva and unlimited bubble baths.

I want less “boys’ club” in the world and more human collaboration. I want really good conversations that aren’t about schedules, housework, or kids.

Hmm. How about changing the advertising slogan around a bit?

This Mother’s Day, ask her what she really wants!

And then: listen.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...