Skip to main content

Sheep and Goats



We seem to have reached a crossroads in consideration of Board of Education candidates. I continue to see people rejecting the premise that this is a non-partisan race. I understand where that comes from. National politics has penetrated the local sphere and we can’t ignore that. If we have values that are under attack from the current administration, we wonder how that might reach into our schools through potential board members.

And yet there’s a reason the BOE race is non-partisan. Consider this: our community contains people of all different political leanings. Yet, in participating in public education, we must acknowledge that citizens of diverse backgrounds and beliefs can learn and grow together. Parents must also learn to work together. If we highlight the BOE race as a partisan struggle, we add a new wedge between parents that makes it harder to work together on common goals after the election is over.

Yes, Virginia, there is life after the election and we will need one another. That’s not going to work so well if we have spent all this time judging and baiting each other.

So you want to separate the candidates by party affiliation in order to ask them the appropriate questions. What does that look like, exactly? Should there be a different set of questions for BOE candidates who are Republican? Should we ask each candidate who they voted for in the Presidential election? Will we have separate forums? We will come to believe that Board members from another political party than our own don’t have the ability to set policy for our children?

If you have important questions to ask of BOE candidates, ask them of all the candidates. All of them.  And when you find the candidates you feel that you can support, by all means, share that information. For instance,  I might say that I support X because s/he is knowledgeable and experienced in how arts education can transform at-risk communities. That’s extremely important to me. And there are plenty of others: implementing restorative practices, equity in the educational experience, how we support non native students, the rights of LGBTQ students, implementing a non-sexist dress code, increasing recess in elementary grades and reducing high-stakes testing in all grades.

Opinions? I got em. Questions? Plenty.

Certainly we all have questions and candidates should be prepared to answer them honestly. But making this a partisan race by separating the sheep from the goats along party lines ignores what will  happen after the election. We will still all be in the same boat, still working towards the same goals and needing to be able to make progress with one another, trusting each other, able to feel comfortable giving a little, forging unlikely alliances in order to help our kids. All kids, really.

How are we going to do that if we burn everything down during election season?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teacher Gifts

Today is the last day of school before the Winter Break. It’s a good time to remember the far-reaching nature of our public school system. You may not have children. You may have sent your children to independent schools. It matters not. You will be impacted one way or another. Yesterday I read a long thread on Facebook about several waves of illness in the schools right now. There’s influenza A and norovirus, I believe. And of course there’s COVID. Apparently in some individual schools the rate of illness is high enough for school admin to notify parents.  When I was little the acceptable holiday gift for a teacher was one of those lovely floral handkerchief squares. (I don’t know what it was for male teachers. They were rare in my elementary years.) These days the range of teacher gifts is wider and I have fond memories of Target gift cards which I have written about before. I think it’s safe to say that giving one’s teacher Influenza, norovirus, or COVID is not the ideal holiday...

They Can Wait

This is not a typical Saturday post. That’s because, in my community, it’s not a typical Saturday.  Oakland Mills High School, after years of deferred repair, needs massive renovation. It’s pretty simple: when you don’t fix a problem it gets bigger. The school system itself said the the OMHS school building was  "no longer conducive to learning" back in 2018.  2018 .  But Thursday the Boad of Education voted to push it out of the lineup of important projects which will be given the go-ahead to proceed soonest.  In my opinion it’s a terrible decision and sets a dangerous precedent. To explain, here’s the advocacy letter I sent in support of Oakland Mills High School. I was rather proud of it. I am writing to ask you to proceed with needed renovation at Oakland Mills High School in the most timely and comprehensive manner humanly possible. I have read the letter sent to you by the Oakland Mills Community Association and I am in complete agreement. You are extremel...

Separate and Unequal

  Remember “Separate but equal”? Remember how that really meant that Black schools languished in  broken-down buildings without adequate heat or toilet facilities, with cast-off, ragged learning materials, underfunded and largely ignored? The Supreme Court struck that down in 1954. The evidence was clear that separate was not equal. Plessy v Ferguson had led to - - no, endorsed - - deeply unequal schooling and opportunities. We tend to think of Brown v Board as being purely about racial integration. It was not.  It was about the logical consequences of segregation. And they were not, not, not equal. The ruling in 1954 didn’t transform public education for non-whites into a land of milk and honey by any means. But it articulated some essential truths in a way that made including everyone a legal precedent which could be relied upon and built upon. It was better than what came before it but it rested upon unsteady ground. It did not necessarily change the hearts or minds ...